Thursday, February 11, 2010

My Early Attempts at Office Politics

So, there's a boy in my class today not doing ANYTHING!! He do his warm-up questions. He didn't have his homework. He didn't do his homework as we went over it (I told them that I would accept it out of the goodness of my heart...for a late grade, but still - we were REVIEWING THE ANSWERS!!!). He took the zero. He didn't do the classwork assignment - answering three questions.

I basically stood over him the entire time and asked him to start working, and right under my nose, he continued annoying his classmates around them. Talking smack at them, pointing at them, making faces at them as if I weren't there.

So...office politics. He was in a fight yesterday. At school. And back today. Want to know how it started? He was annoying his classmates a bit too much and so they fought. For a little more background, yesterday those two 7th grade fighters from Tuesday were suspended. I sent my principal a memo explaining why I had sent him to the office, and explaining that from my perspective, we had not been very consistent and that we may have even encouraged the behavior since there was literally no punishment. I just received a rather snippy reply. "I am surprised that you have such a strong opinion so that you feel it necessary to challenge a decision that was made."

How dare I?

In other news, I have "packed it in" on my community. That is the consensus between myself and our community supervisor. She suggested a "throw down" just to clear the air. I'm starting work on my laundry list as we speak. So...that looks to be fun.

And, finally, we are predicted to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight. That would effectively cancel school tomorrow. Dare I start counting chickens so soon?

2 comments:

  1. I must admit Drew, I appreciate my situation at my school more and more with each entry of yours that I read...but what exactly's going on with the "community"? Did I miss that blog entry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were the guy that could get along with anyone! How could you "pack it in"? Is the feeling mutual between you and the rest of the community? We're coming to visit in March - and I don't want a bunch of animosity around there!!!

    ReplyDelete