Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Back Home in the Great State

Well, after a lengthy drive home with a few very relaxing stops, I made it home on Sunday evening around 9pm. I only drove the 2 hours to Chicago (which, thanks to Friday afternoon rush hour traffic in Chicago actually took 4 hours). That night, I had planned to spend the evening at a comedy club (The Second City) with a buddy and his girlfriend. One of the freshmen from my dorm last year randomly texted my buddy and said he was going to be in Chicago as well, so we added him to our party. The Second City is absolutely hilarious, and has produced some of the best (and most-well-known) comedians of the past decades. Adam Sandler, Dan Akeroyd, among others. Saturday I got up and left around 8:45 and made it to Memphis at about 6:45. I was held up in traffic in a few places. However, I didn't mind the traffic on Saturday because each of the road construction zones had signs plastered around informing the drivers that the construction was made possible by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009. In Memphis, I stayed with one of my good friend's parents. My friend wasn't around because he's actually started his job in the Twin Cities. It was a great stay regardless. I felt that it was my patriotic duty to wait in that traffic and support all those jobs that have been "saved and/or created." I ended up leaving Memphis around 9am and getting to Castroville, as I said above, at 9pm.

My plan was to unpack from the summer/school year, repack for Mobile, and get quite a bit of a head start planning all my classes (with broad outlines). However, as Mama, Dad, and the stuff piled up on the staircase can attest, I am still stuck on Phase 1. Last night we did get to go babysit my twin cousins who are two years old. Friday we head out for our annual family get-together at the coast near Corpus Christi. I missed last year's, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting down there.

I'll come back Sunday, pick up one of my ACE friends at the airport (she'll be teaching in San Antonio), and then my family's heading to Houston for the Astros' game on the 4th. We'll spend the night in Houston, and then on the 5th I will head out for Mobile and my family will head back home. I will get to Mobile that evening, start with meetings on the morning of the 6th, and then the first day of class is the 17th.

No other big news to speak of. I promise to keep this thing going. I know I slacked off at the end of the summer. I'm sure I'll be re-energized by funny/sad/stressful stories about my school and community!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment