Wednesday, November 4, 2009

New Developments...

Two students were expelled last week. Not sure if I mentioned that. Neither had been much, if any, trouble in class, but they had a very vicious fight.

Today two of my 7th graders were sent home because they could not settle down and get to work this morning. Both of their parents said this is the first they've heard of an issue. I provided my parent communication documentation for Sister Nancy. She was very happy with it, but it was very incomplete because for over a month I did not write down every single time that I talked to my student's mom in the carpool line.

One of those two (the one whose communication log I gave to Sister Nancy) was actually sent to the 5th grade classroom today because his parents could not come pick him up. I sent some work down to him, as did the other teachers. I gave him the two worksheets we did today in class. A 5th grade girl looked it over for him and pointed out every question he missed (all of them). I also sent him an assignment that required some writing. His paragraph was read to the 5th grade class, and they laughed at how poorly-written it was. The 5th graders have to write definitions from the dictionary as punishment. So that was my student's punishment too. He was assigned 200 definitions, and after about an hour and a half, the 5th grade teacher asked two of her boys to define as many as they could in 10 minutes. They both doubled the number of definitions he wrote in his hour and a half. By lunch, he was completely under her control. It was really funny.

I got approval to re-institute my old discipline system: one verbal warning, silent lunch, miss pe, call home. So that will start in earnest tomorrow. I borrowed a tactic from the 1st grade teacher that I am using with 6th grade. Instead of writing their names on the board, I make them get up and do it. They hate it. I'd do it with 7th and 8th grades, but there's no telling what kind of nicknames and other random trash would end up on the board. I am also starting to assign 10 copies of the school's mission statement for misbehavior. The kids hate it. But it's really effective. I've done it for 2 or 3 days now, and they realize that I'm serious about it and that nobody's falling through the cracks. So...presto! Our lines are now silent and straight.

8th grade is still out of control. But luckily I didn't have to see them in class today. They went to the Catholic high school for their tour of the place, did the pep rally, etc. So...I only had to teach 2 classes today. It was nice.

OK, gotta plan.

1 comment:

  1. Look at Mr. Clary...crackin' that whip! Sounds like you're doing a great job :)

    ReplyDelete