Monday, November 2, 2009

Daylight Savings Ending May Help...

...because I feel like it's 10:00 right now, even though it's barely 6:45.

Sister Nancy has been busy with the classroom across the hall (covering for the teacher who quit last week), so she sent in our director of religious education to "help me get my class settled at the beginning of the day." Which turned into all 65 minutes of 7th grade and most of 8th grade too. So, that was frustrating. But, actually in the middle of writing that last sentence, I got a call back from someone at the Office of Catholic Education, and we talked through a lot of these frustrations. I am also waiting on my supervisor (who touched base with my mentor teacher today) to get back to me with some thoughts/ideas.

I have one idea that I'm going to try tomorrow with 8th grade. I am going to try to set up the class as one of the ancient Chinese dynasties did - the emperor chose governors to run each region. Since my classroom is now arranged with desks of four tables, I am going to try to put one person in charge of each table and make him/her responsible for the table. That goes for discipline issues, staying on task issues, and anything else that comes up. We'll see how that goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment