Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Meltdown is imminent

Our school has decided that PE and talking at lunch are rights not to be infringed upon. Those had been the only things that we can really use as consequences with the students (silent lunch and missing PE). So...we are currently asking for their attention and saying "Since we're letting you go to PE and talk at lunch anyway, we need your attention now please." Yeah, that works.

So today, my principal told me I need to stop them from talking before they even start. I asked what to do if they don't respect that request for silence. She said circulate the room and ask them individually to be quiet. I asked what to do when they still aren't (because they aren't) and she said "That's why you need to have work for them to do." Oh, right. I didn't realize that I am supposed to be giving them WORK. I thought I was supposed to keep them quiet and look at them for 45 minutes each period.

So...I'm really frustrated. So frustrated, in fact, that the thought, "Wow. I could be in law school right now" only crossed my mind five times yesterday.

My 8th graders still refuse to be on task during my class. Today they are taking a test. I'm putting the over/under on number of tests I collect and give zeros for because of talking at five. Out of 24. Less grading for me! They need to see that I mean business. Maybe failing the first quarter (which ends Friday) will be what it takes.

1 comment:

  1. I sense that the level of frustration and anxiety has really reached a point that might suggest some serious professional therapy or counseling and I am referring to the teacher here not the students...my guess is that the students have been cultivating attitudes and behaviour for much longer than the teacher has been in business and that they are getting reinforced on the home front. One consolation is that you might be at the bottom and it is all uphill from this point on. I am sure you are making a favorable impression...it just might not be that visible to you right now...bet some teacher in the future will reap the reward...hang in there. g

    ReplyDelete