Thursday, January 21, 2010

Out of the Mouths of...Middle Schoolers

This one is actually pretty cool. My 7th graders had a poster project due today. I was a little worried that they would forget about it because I haven't made a huge deal out of it lately. In fact, I only had it on the homework board this week - I haven't really gone into very much depth since last Wednesday, when I assigned it.

Perhaps not-so-surprisingly, a lot of the kids did bring them in. The first boy who brought it in today is one of my quieter students who I haven't really spoken to much this year. So I asked him if he thought a lot of people would bring them in. I honestly didn't know how many to expect this morning. His response caught me a little offguard - probably because for the past four years I was in an atmosphere in which the people around me placed an overly-high premium on GPAs. To the extent that I'm used to people having private celebrations about a classmate's poor performance in a class.

Anyway, this student said, "I hope everyone brings it in." I did a double-take and asked him why he said that. "Because everyone deserves an education." I was taken aback. I guess I still can't really say why, which is why my best description was what I said first it's just "cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment