Friday, June 12, 2009

2 Weeks Down, 6 To Go: 25% Finished!

Well, I'm a quarter of the way through the summer, and I still feel like I'm learning more about how unprepared I am than how to actually teach. I think that's going to change this week, though. We are going to start having lesson plans due, microteaching in classes, and my Practicum starts in a week. Although I can't say for sure, I think that 25% of my time here may be complete, but much less of the work than that is behind me. I'm expecting things to pick up considerably in the next two weeks.

We are having "community bowling" tomorrow. That should be fun. Unfortunately, I get to start the day tomorrow by taking the Praxis test, which is basically a standardized test to make sure I know enough social studies content to be able to teach it. I took a sample test, and it seemed easy enough. I guess we'll see tomorrow. I've glanced through some world history stuff, and there are some behavioral sciences that I need to glance through really quickly before I head to bed.

Classes finished up OK for the week. I think the most interesting (and entertaining) development happened on Thursday in my social studies content class (which is the last day of the week for that class - it's just Tues-Thurs). Apparently Thursday is "spousal abuse garment" day, and we all go to class wearing wife-beaters (which are those very thin-materialed, thin-strapped undershirts) and then go to Legends (the on-campus bar) afterwards. We also got paired with a mentor teacher in the year older than us. My mentor teacher is teaching middle school social studies at a school in DC. That class is going to be pretty fun, and I think I'm going to learn a lot too - from talking with him and from the class.

By the way, I'm sure you noticed the newest addition to my blog. The countdown at the top of the page is counting down until I have to report to Heart of Mary for the first day of school in August. We will have new teacher orientation and faculty development days, but this countdown is for the morning of August 17 - my first day of school with classes. Because I figured this countdown out, I'm going to stop posting the countdowns in each blog post.

2 comments:

  1. Drew:
    I'm now up to date on your blog. I love it! You didn't tell me most of that stuff when we were on the phone together, hence I wasn't able to say a rosary for your content test. I'm sure you did well enough without my help! Also, your countdown is not showing up on my computer. Is that due to my computer non-savviness? Not surprising. Keep working hard....Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally got caught up on all your postings - initially I thought this might go the way of your previous blogging exploits and only last through a couple of posts, so I wasn't very diligent in keeping up with it. I think you have already out done your previous efforts! I gleaned a couple of things that caused some lingering consideration . . . a) how are you progressing with the attempt at being taken seriously by your basketball team?! b) sounds like a lot of work! how are you able to avoid the procrastination habits that have haunted you for the past 4 years?!!

    Keep up the good work - - we look forward to reading of your exploits!!

    ReplyDelete