Monday, June 1, 2009

First Day of Summer Classes

Was up at 7:15 this morning to get ready for class (including breakfast!) at 8:30. Was in class until lunchtime, and then was in class again in the afternoon from 1:30-4:45 and from 8-10. Luckily (somehow), I managed to force myself to do all of my homework (except the reading) during my dinner break. I just finished reviewing that homework assignment and doing my reading for tomorrow.

The classes were not too bad today, but the pace at which things are assigned is a bit startling at first. Since the classes this week are finishing on Friday, we have a short essay due tomorrow at midnight, another longer one due next Monday (based on all the classes this week), and my classroom management plan is also due next Monday. Even though it's a lot of work piling up, it is all constructive and useful. For example, today's assignment was to write up all the classroom procedures that I plan to have in my classroom. I turn in the (4-page single spaced) rough draft tomorrow, and will get feedback on it before I have to turn in my final draft on Monday (we are doing a rough draft version of each section of the management plan this week).

The work, while not the most stimulating or interesting, is engaging because (1) I will use what I am working on (not the theory or the practice making procedures, but the actual procedures) when I start teaching in less than two months, and (2) it is making me get into an "adult," "teacher," or "real person" mindset rather than the attitude of an undergrad who will be making this transition some time in the future.

Classroom Countdown: 77 days until my first day of school

No comments:

Post a Comment