Friday, June 26, 2009

OOOOH! WE'RE HALF WAY THE-RE!! OH OH! LIVIN' ON A PRAYER!

So...that title is thanks to Bon Jovi in case my punctuation was more confusing than helpful.

I got the word that my school ended up making their math hire, which means that they will have one guy taking all the religion classes, and another person taking all the math classes. Which means that the only class preps I will have will be for my three social studies classes. They are also scrapping their double-period of social studies, which means that rather than seeing every student for two 45 minute periods per day, I will only have them once per day.

To fill my afternoons, though, I will be taking the newly-created Intervention Classes. Basically, each class has PE in the afternoons, and I will be given materials by the other content teachers for any students who need extra help with their schoolwork or getting caught up to grade level for them to come in for help on during their PE period. I'm a little sad to see the math classes taken away from me, but excited that I'll "only" have to prepare for three classes per day.

Practicum is going very well. I really like my kids (for the most part) and my teacher is still awesome. My classroom management is getting better. I wait for students to be quiet (and they do), and Friday I had a funny experience. The troublemaker was acting up (as always) and distracting his fellow students. I had made a blanket statement at the beginning of class to let them know that it would be very easy to reassign their seats. With about 20 minutes of class left, this boy pushed his friend out of his seat. I said, "John, that's it. Come sit up here." He mouthed off for a bit, but my cooperative teacher stepped in and set him straight. The reason it was so awesome was because literally for the next five minutes, not a single person in the class made a sound.

Today we headed up to the beach on Lake Michigan. It was great, but very "ACE-ey." We had well over 100 people up there hanging out together. When we got back, four of us went to the new Transformers movie. It was awful, but there were lots of explosions and fights. The storyline, plot, acting, etc. was terrible. Last night we all went out, but for two hours before going out, I just went and sat in Barnes and Noble, got a big mocha from Starbucks, grabbed a book and a couch, and alternated between reading and sleeping. It was very relaxing, and a good way to unwind.

A few of us just got back from a midnight trip to Taco Bell, and I'm heading to bed now. Hopefully I will be able to post as often as I was able to before I started teaching my Practicum. This week should be a little less busy. We're only in class for 3 days, and I don't have any huge assignments due (I had a lesson plan due for class Friday last week).

No comments:

Post a Comment