Monday, August 10, 2009

1st Day of Inservice

The countdown has finally dropped below one week. AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Today, I set my desks up. Now all I have to do are the posters and signs for the walls. I am meeting with my assistant principals and fellow middle school teachers tomorrow to come up with standardized rules, procedures, and consequences. The math/science teacher is also new to Heart of Mary this year (in her 2nd year of teaching though), so the assistant principals are inserting themselves into our meeting to try to keep the English teacher from running away with us and having us all singing out of her hymnal.

I got my class schedule today:
7:40 Homeroom (7th grade - 12 boys, 16 girls)
8:00 Social Studies (7th)
8:45 Planning Period
9:30 Social Studies (6th)
10:15 Social Studies (8th)
11:00 Extension Classes (7th)
11:45 Lunch (7th)
12:30 Extension Classes (6th)
1:15 Extension Classes (8th)
2:00 Physical Education (7th and 8th boys)
2:45 Homeroom (7th)
3:00 Dismissal

I will only be in charge of the Intervention Extension Class, which will meet Mondays and Fridays, but for the first several weeks, the Counselor, computer teacher, and librarian will not be taking the students (for the classes on Tues, Wed, and Thurs), so I will have them all in my room for the first few weeks.

My extracurricular activities are: National Junior Honor Society, Basketball Coach, and Student Council (got hit with that one today). Additionally, Sr Nancy took me out to meet our football coach this afternoon, and after shaking his hand, he said, "Now, Sister Nancy tells me you may be interested in helping coach football." I said I wasn't sure how much use I'd be for football, but agreed to help run the homework time from 3-4 before practice three days per week (inside = air conditioning!!). Chalk that up as my first time to say "No."

The football coach had a few students with him when I met him. A few minutes after he walked away, one of the boys came up to me, looked me right in the eyes, stuck out his hand, and introduced himself. I was very impressed. Assertively meeting someone like that is something that is not the easiest thing to get down. His task may have been made easier by the fact that I was wearing a green Fisher Hall t-shirt from our dance this past year. Across the front of my chest in huge block white letters is "FUNK." so maybe that made it easier for him.

Tomorrow I plan to get a final list of what hand-made posters I need, plan out what's going up where, and run by the teacher supply store to get materials for my posters. Hopefully by the end of the day Wednesday I can have all the posters up on the walls and start focusing in on organizing my supplies, my desk, and my thoughts for the first week or so in each class.

PS - Also got my first paycheck today!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment