Monday, August 17, 2009

First Class Down, Two To Go

My 7th grade homeroom is going to hate me. Sister Nancy is going to love me. The reason? My 7th graders practiced how to line up outside and enter my room silently at the beginning of the day three times. The first time, they were loud, and I think they all realized they had talked. So we went back outside, and I gave the same welcome shpeel and welcomed them in again. When I walked into the classroom, I swear I heard talking. It ended right when they saw me come in. I asked who heard any talking that time. I was a little taken aback when not a single hand was raised. I made them go back out and practice again anyway. I think they were a little annoyed with me, but when I asked them to quietly put their backpacks in the closet, I didn't hear a sound.

I actually planned my first class relatively well (as far as timing). I rushed the last few things, but actually got to everything. The English teacher said she didn't. I've doctored the lesson plan a bit for my other two classes (my homeroom was in for 75 mins today, the others are only 55). Hopefully these run kind of smoothly too.

For introductions today, I asked what their favorite subject in school is. I'd say that about 80% of them said math. Approximately 0% said social studies. Oh well, my bigger worry than that right now is that I have no idea how I'm going to remember all these names. I guess it'll come eventually...

3 comments:

  1. Drew, I mean, Mr. Clary! You are off to a great start, and I am sure the kids as well as Sister Nancy will be crazy about you! Way to make a difference - love ya! greg and shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well - I guess you can take the counter off the top of the page . . . it's full speed ahead now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. look at you, mister disciplinarian! ;) sounds like you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete