Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Beginning of the Week

My 7th graders have been uncontrollable so far this week. An assistant principal yelled at them at the end of the day Monday. I didn't really like that he just walked in and started yelling. They were lectured by the 5th grade teacher yesterday, and yelled at again yesterday after PE by the same asst. principal. By this time, I was absolutely seething. I had had a 45-minute discussion with them earlier in the day about why my expectations are what they are, that I wouldn't waste all my time and energy trying to get them "act straight" if I thought they were incapable of it. They seemed to respond, but the afternoon was awful. So, when they came in from PE (after being yelled at to line up), I ripped into them as well. I basically told them that I had had it and that now would be a perfect time to sit quietly for the rest of the day. They were absolutely silent and still for 15 minutes. This morning, I took no nonsense, and have my disciplinary consequences listed on the board. I don't know if they took me seriously and were quiet or if they were still asleep and were quiet for that reason. I guess I'll see at lunchtime.

So, I've basically been in a terrible mood for the past two days. I have always been really good at projecting a good front, even when I'm upset. I don't know if I'm too tired to keep that up, or if I've really been so upset at the end of the day that I just can't cover it up. It was my turn to cook dinner last night. Chicken Sopa - basically tortilla casserole with chicken. It seemed to go over pretty well. We tried canned chicken, which I found to be a bit dry, but it may have been the cans. We've had them on the shelf for a while.

Today after school, I'm going to run to Taco Bell (for the first time since I've been here), and am going to return to school to make phone calls home to all my 7th grade boys who have been a thorn in my side. Nothing but positives this week. We'll move into negatives next week as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment