Saturday, August 29, 2009

End of Week 2

So...this week was clearly not as awesome as my first week. My 7th graders (my homeroom, so the class I see ALL THE TIME) cause me endless headaches. However, I'm trying a few new things with them. Straight-up hardcore consequences don't seem to be working. I was told that giving students responsibilities in my classroom is a good idea. I've done that with one of my students, and I've got a few ideas for some others. There are other students who have already taken it upon themselves to do certain jobs. One of my girls handles giving everyone Germ-X on the way to and from lunch. Another two girls handle wiping the tables down in the cafeteria when we leave. I am having one guy (as of yesterday) who is trying to keep his friends from picking on one of the students. Other jobs will include writing homework assignments on the HW work board and writing homeworks in my copy of the student planner for kids who were absent. I haven't quite decided what other jobs to have them do...

Speaking of absent kids...they are the bane of my existence. They never come ask me for the assignments, and I don't ever have time or the memory to give them everything they missed. Also, kids who just don't turn in HW also tick me off. I'm technically supposed to help them try to get it in, but the last thing I want to do is continually remind them to get it in. The other teachers hold their kids during PE to do their assignments. I wish I could do that - but I can't since I coach PE.

Fun times in Mobile this weekend. We had about 10 people spend the night last night. About 50 will be here tonight. We're having the annual Mobile "Back to School" party. It's basically the party that kicks off Gulf Coast ACE parties for the rest of the year. I smoked 2 briskets last night (Thurs night), and chopped them up yesterday. They taste awesome...I was really worried about it, but they turned out really good. In honor of (Castroville) Clary family tradition, we are going to have our guests who want to make brisket tacos and wrap them in foil to stick under their hoods on the drive home in case they get hungry on the way.

That's it for now...going to try to get some grading done before everyone wakes up.

1 comment:

  1. Wish I could have been there when you explained the taco under the hood concept to your friends. I'm sure you got some really crazy looks. I hope you told them that that little trick has held us in good stead over the years! Just curious, how many takers did you have? I know that Week #3 is going to be a great week for you. I will continue to send up the rosaries for you .... and your students!

    ReplyDelete