Thursday, August 13, 2009

4 days and change?!?

The past couple of days have continued my quest to organize and set up my room. As of this minute, I have pulled everything out of my supply closet, sorted it all out, organized some of it, found a home for some of it, and left the rest on my students' desks. I have a map of the world up, a map of the US, and today I purchased an Alabama state flag to go along with the American flag already hanging on one side of the doorway. Maybe it's just a remnant of the ridiculous amount of state pride that Texans have, but I felt that a state flag was a must.

I also uncovered my desk today. Things had been piling up at a constant (and rapid) rate, so it's nice to see the actual desk now. I finished making some posters tonight. I have posters with words like courage, responsibility, loyalty, work, compassion, and one more that I can't think of right now. The posters have a neat picture and a quote from history or literature. I made posters with a line from Scripture on each of them to go along with each of those posters. A housemate also unearthed some really cool regional posters tonight. I'll use them for my units on each of the regions that I now have maps for. One of the ones he gave me is a map of the globe that is basically a picture taken from space. You can see all the clusters of lights that stay lit up all night long. It is interesting to contrast North and South Korea, NYC with basically the rest of the world, and many other regions as well.

Tomorrow I am presenting the gifts at an all Catholic school faculty mass that the Archbishop is presiding. He is pretty nitpicky about attire and professionalism, so I figured it was finally time to try to get my facial hair under control. I am aiming to keep a steady level of scruffiness this year, so I ran out to Wal-Mart (got lost going there AND coming back) for a beard trimmer. Unfortunately, it has to charge for upwards of 12 hours before you can use it "for best results." Hopefully I can use it in the morning!!

3 comments:

  1. Have we seen that beard? Your preparation is admirable - you will be ready! I hear you on the state pride thing and think it's a good thing to instill in the youth of Mobile! Good luck with the beard trimming - shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really surprised about all the cleaning, dusting and organizing you've been doing. Why did I not ever see any of that going on in your room and around our house in all those years you lived at home?!? That must be a skill that was DEEPLY hidden. I'm glad it is finally surfacing. And why exactly are you aspiring for a "steady level of scruffiness?" Doesn't that kind of go against the professionalism theme? I love you. You'll do a great job...Mama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Drew,
    I read your blog. Did you use the scriptures that I gave you? Good Luck!!! Im glad that I have another week off.

    Heath

    ReplyDelete