Thursday, September 17, 2009

Making a Seating Chart (aka: Playing Russian Roulette with Your Sanity)

My seating charts seemed to work really well today...for about the first 5 minutes in each class. The student who tends to be...difficult...that I put next to a friend who has actually been very well-behaved for the past few days did very well. So that was rewarding/awesome.

My 8th graders did an excavation project this afternoon. It rained all morning, so the ground was extra soppy. And kind of gross. Added fun for some, added disgust for others. We ended up coming in before we found everything. Mainly because they were wandering around and doing whatever they wanted. Many of them lost many points just from today...and they haven't even written their reports yet!!!

I wore a white polo and blue pants today. Luckily I wore my brown belt and shoes. Otherwise, I would have been in the exact dress code for a boy at Most Pure Heart of Mary School. That was pointed out several times to me today.

We had a fight at PE. I got out late with 7th grade. Just in time to see a kid get out of a puddle, swing at another student (and hit him), and keep running for him. Somehow, by the grace of God, the other kid didn't swing back and played it really cool. I was impressed and pleased by that. Less so with the other student, who took about 15 minutes (and most of the football team) to subdue. Apparently the ACE teacher who I replaced had to break him up from a fight last year, and after he escaped 3 or 4 times, my predecessor finally just pinned him to the ground. And kept him there till he chilled out. Yeah. Real tough guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment