Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Wow

Our really super-cool school counselor even had trouble with my 7th grade class today. They are crazy sometimes (often).

Yesterday, my cooking partner and I found out at around 5pm that it was our night for dinner. We threw together some tacos, rice, and beans. It went over pretty well. I loved it - it is one of my favorite meals ever. We have new partners starting next week. I'm keeping Tuesday, but I'm with someone else. She's really on top of things, so I think we'll be good.

School's been going pretty well this week. I have found that if it takes us 3 days to do what I thought we could do in 1, then that's OK. If my students don't come in quietly at first, it will lead to a loud and disrespectful period. So we go back in the hallway and practice walking in again. And again. And again. Until they do it quietly. They hate it, they get quiet, and they realize I'm serious. I feel good because they ultimately do come in quietly and we have a good start to class (albeit 10 minutes later than it should start).

I've also started writing students' names on the board to track their misbehavior. They don't really like it, I can discipline without stopping class, and I have something at the end of the day that reminds me what to write down in my permanent discipline records. Apparently one of my housemates has a "treasure box" which is the opposite of my names on the board. Each time your name gets on the board, your name goes in a drawing for a reward at the end of the week. Apparently it works really well. I'm thinking about doing that starting next week.

I'm really looking forward to a long weekend. I am not quite sure I know what I'll do for all three days of the weekend, but I'm sure I'll figure it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment